I recommend all of the apps and tools below. 99.9% are FREE!
- Canva: A free online image editor with great templates.
- CoSchedule’s Headline Analyzer: I never write a blog post (or guest blog post!) without first consulting this tool to see if I’ve nailed the title or not.
- Tech Help: Gretchen Louise is my go-to tech guru. Not only did she code my site, she goes the extra mile to get my site back up and running when I let a rogue curly quote or unclosed italic wreak havoc!
- Google Calendar: I always have Google Calendar open on my laptop, and I love that it syncs to my phone–and with my husband!
- Todoist: My brain. Enough said. I highly recommend it! (I use the free version.)
- Pocket: This tool changed how I read online! Now I save articles to read later rather than getting distracted by twenty million open tabs.
- Gmail/G Suite: Everything integrates with it. And the search function is amazing. I use it for everything.
- Mailchimp: The free plan includes 2,000 subscribers, plus MailChimp is easy to use, perfect for many beginning bloggers and small businesses. I have used MailChimp for years. If you’re looking for something even simpler, I recommend Mailjet.
Files & Backups
- Dropbox: My no-brainer backup solution is this: all my files live in the Dropbox folder that is constantly syncing with the cloud. I love knowing that my files are backed up automatically.
- Amazon Prime Photos: Prime Photos is free with Amazon Prime, unlimited and backs up the full resolution file. (When it comes to backups, one can never have too many!) I pay for the upgrade to have video storage too.
Freelancing: Bookkeeping, Invoicing, and Contract Generation
- EveryDollar: I have used EveryDollar for years and adore it! Although not as robust as some paid programs, this free budgeting tool is perfect for my husband’s and my needs. I love knowing where each hard-earned dollar goes.
- HelloSign: This app makes contract generation a breeze and helped me finally make the step into contracting each and every project I commit to.
- Paypal: Paypal makes sending and receiving money digitally quick and easy.
- Books That Will Make You A Better Writer: A list of the five books I rave about to all my writing friends.
- Books for Fiction Writers: Here I share my list of highly recommended reads for aspiring novelists.
- Create If Writing: Kirsten knows her stuff. She’s especially knowledgeable about email lists and blogging, but overall she’s all things writing.
- Grammarly: Even though I’m happy to help edit your project, most likely you won’t hire me to read every email, etc. This free browser extension is a must for everyone.
Fellow Freelance Editors I Recommend
- Anne Mateer: A fellow historical fiction author, Anne is well-versed in the publishing industry as well as indie publishing and will take good care of your work.
- Betsy St. Amant: An incredible author, Betsy recently expanded her offerings of editorial services and serves her clients well!
- Elisabeth Adams: Elisabeth is a gracious and gifted editor, with the ability to see the big picture.